  • Subject: Re: ILE Activation groups...thanks but still in need
  • From: Vanya Jovic <jovic@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:28:52 -0600 (MDT)

Tonny,

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, William A.(Tony) Corbett wrote:

> Brad, if you see this, thanks...
>
> But,
> 1.  do I need to do a RCLACTGRP??  Ron ?, at an advanced rpgiv/ILE
> seminar in Atlanta, said yes.  With the advice received, I think I need
> to follow the same plan, but back up to the subsystem menu CL to do the
> reclaim, with the called submenu starting up a named actgrp.  IE, main
> menu1 calls menu 2, menu 2 starts an actgrp, ends and menu1 reclaims
> actgrp...?????

        Yes and no, use your best judgement. Which kind of job
are you talking about? Typically, batch job runs certain amount of time,
and then shuts down AGs anyway. Interactive user usually signs off after a
few hours. Think about what function he/she is going to use during that
time. Would it be "too much" for system/job to handle? Sometimes it's even
better to use *NEW AG and let system take care about it, if that group is
going to be created only few times. Most of time, I use RCLACTGRP only in
developing/testing environments to make sure that whatever I do, doesn't
influence future behaviour. Sometimes, even that isn't good enought, and
you have to signoff/signon to clean everything (I guess, Brad can tell you
about that more) :))

> 2.  If I run everything in QILE, doesn't that amount to running in DAG?

        No, there is a significant difference. You can't achieve true ILE
behaviour in DAG (can't use service programs, for example; RCLRSC
doesn't do everything RCLACTGRP does ...). Main purpose of AGs is to
provide isolation of resources within same job. If I understood correctly,
your environment is rather straight forward, no shared files, no
fancy OPNQRYFs, OVR..s, so there's no need to complicate with too many
AGs.

 > 3.  Should all service pgms be created from individual modules,ie,
> should I create a service pgm from a single module?

        NO! For best convenience, modules should be grouped based
on their common purpose (all date/time handling modules in one service
program, for example). For best performance, modules should be grouped
based on probability to be called together, so ideally job activates as
little service programs as possible (don't forget that service program
made of 1000 modules gets activated if only one of them is going to be
called by certain program). In reality, choose something in between. :))
Again, common sense and best judgement.

Hope it helps,

Vanja Jovic,
Canada