  • Subject: ILE activation group strategy...I need help/advice
  • From: "Tony Corbett" <corbett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:16:39 -0700

HELP!
I am trying to devise a good (maintainable) activation group strategy.
This is a pretty large company (second largest food distributor in the nation)
with a lot of users and programs, probably 200+ workstations online in house
and about 50 remote users, mostly PC workstations,
running on a 510 with 1G memory and about 75G disk used on V3R7.  We(they) plan
go to a 7xx model (and V4) within about 6 months.  Internet-stuff is handled
with an NT server.

Everything I come up with seems lacking.
I am in an environment with mostly consultants (or contract programmers,
depending on your frame of mind today) and I have been assigned the task of
piloting the ILE changeover with a subsystem I'm currently working on, with
many constraints:
1. We will be in a mixed OPM and ILE environment for some time
2. The strategy must be maintainable, with very little thought on the part of
the programmer
3. The environment is relatively lax in the way of standard methodology
4. Some of the programmers have little knowledge of ILE.
5. Programs and menus are in an almost constant state of modification.
6. A lot of subprograms called from RPG end with LR off, prompt programs in
particular.
7. Menus are not "real menus", i.e., use dspf with a clp driver (I call this
38-style)
8. Everybody in the IS dept (and their close relatives) have group profile
QSECOFR
9. There is no file-sharing across pgms.
10. I am a consultant and can change none of the above.

Everything is pretty straight-forward, with the exception of how to handle
activation groups in
a way that will not get screwed-up in maintenance.
My latest revision of a plan:
1. Create one (large) binding directory and CHGCMDDFT on CRTBNDRPG command to
use it
2. Change the "create rpg module command"  to add all modules to this binding
directory
3. CHGCMDDFT on CRTBNDCL to use the binding directory and ACTGRP(cl pgm name)
4. Compile ALL rpgle pgms with ACTGRP(*CALLER)
5. In the CL pgms, immediately follow a CALL "clpgmname" with RCLACTGRP
"clpgmname"

Is this going to create too large  a binding directory?
Will this be "too many" activation groups??  too few??
Should I use actgrp(*new) for the CL pgms in the above strategy and let the
system do the reclaim,
or will the non-LR pgms prevent the system from cleaning up??

Thanks for reading all this, your help will be appreciated...

Tony Corbett
corbett@cbt400.com
as of 6/1/99:  corbett@asresources.com
the industry stole my name, it now means "I'll create CD's for you"