A good example would be if you were writing an SQL program that used
databases that resided on different machines (AS400.RS600,ORCALE) it would
not matter what activation group you are in.  If you had  overrides to
database files they would not be in effect if you went to a different
machine.  Also the DFTACTGRP parameter is not on the CRTBNDCBL command for
ILE Cobal instead the you have ACTGRP. It is on ILE CL create command. It
looks like IBM had three different thought patterns for creating programs
from PDM.
     If my example is not the reason for not having the parm on the
command,  I  can't see why not if you had *LOCAL as you parm for RDB, you
could define the activation group. A question to our IBM friends.

     One thing I have been able to do with SQL that you can not do with
RPGLE is create subprocedures that will do file IOs.  For example I will
create a module with NOMAIN in the H spec and create a subprocedure that
would return the qty on hand of item that was in several different
warehouses. Inside my RPGLE program my EVAL statement would be:

          EVAL      QTY_ON_HAND = P_QTYONHAND(ITEM)

I think IBM is doing much improvement of the DB2/400 (now the Universal
Database in V4R4) and we should be doing more SQL programming than the
native RPG.  Performance is no longer an issue.  On large files you can
create encoded vector indexes.  (V4R3)

Rob Berendt <rob@dekko.com> on 03/17/99 02:40:39 PM

Please respond to RPG400-L@midrange.com