Event viewer is more like DSPLOG of QHST than it is a joblog. I do use it to check if some scheduled events ran.

*x programs, if they log, tend to go into *.log files or some such thing.

Personally I find using a file to make more sense than spool files. Which is why all of our systems have the system value QLOGOUTPUT set to *PND.

From a recent post on midrange-l
<snip>
Why run them to an output queue at all?
You can easily leave them "pending" by
CHGJOB LOGOUTPUT(*PND)
CHGJOBD JOBD(MYLIB/MYJOBD) LOGOUTPUT(*PND)
CHGSYSVAL SYSVAL(QLOGOUTPUT) VALUE(*PND)

We changed our system value over a decade ago.
They still clear up with GO CLEANUP.
See the command WRKJOBLOG

If you just are jonesing for a spool file (like to send to IBM) then you simply run DSPJOBLOG JOB(...) OUTPUT(*PRINT)

Heck of a lot easier to query with JOBLOG_INFO https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/1128417
Why stick with spooling joblogs? After all, do you query your data files directly or do you do a CPYF TOFILE(*PRINT) and query that spool file?

IBM sets some job descriptions this way. You can easily verify this with:
select *
from qsys2.job_description_info
where JOBLOG_OUTPUT = '*PND';

I count 26 (at 7.5) with