Jonathon - we've tried clearing cache and app data etc and the
uninstall/reinstall but no luck. I think its still unknown/undefined
android/ms bug that has yet to be resolved.

Vern - yup - it's a corporate mandate to use the Outlook app as that allows
us to do a remote wipe of the email should the user's phone get lost or
stolen. If we let them use the other apps, a remote wipe would wipe the
entire device and that would not be good.

And at this time we don't have any intention of moving email to the cloud
to two factor authentication isn't even part of this puzzle.

It's just odd that this problem exists on less than five devices out of
probably two hundred, so our best bet might be suggest it's time to have
them upgrade their phones...

Thanks for the input everyone.