In your example you are defining the same thing twice.

"Fully qualified domain name (FQDN): timbukto.corp.dekko.com"

You need to be define the IP address in one domain. "corp.dekko.com" in
your example.

And then create the cname "timbukto" in the other domain "dekko-1" and
make the target the first name --> "timbukto.corp.dekko.com"

In other words you've got the two FQDN's backwards in creating your cname.

cname is like an alias that point towards the end TARGET.

You can also use cname to create alias names in the same domain. Say you
replace a server but you have to parallel them to transfer files so they
can't have the same name. But when you are done you don't want to rename
the new server and don't want the users to have to learn a new server
name. After deleting the first server SERVER1.corp.dekko.com, create a
cname SERVER1.corp.dekko.com with a target of SERVER2.corp.dekko.com.

Roger Vicker, CCP