From: PcTech [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Yeung
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 12:36 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Thinkpad RSeries

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Don <dr2@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
You can load open office (free) and have 99.99 of the functionality
you'll need.

Lots of people say this, and it's not wrong, but... it depends very much on
whether you need to interoperate with Microsoft Office with very high
precision. Imitations of Microsoft Word do not render documents exactly the
same as Word does. You may not notice if your needs are rather simple, or if
you do not have an eye for detail.

If you don't need to interoperate, then yeah, OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice
each have at least 350% of the functionality that you will need.

The new flash, etc, won't run,

Um, it runs on the XP machine I'm typing this on right now.

and you can't download latest java
either, so depends on what you want to do with it.

You absolutely can download the latest Java. You can even install it.
What you can't do is get any kind of *guarantee* that current or future Java
versions will install properly or work properly on XP. I'm running Java 8
Update 60 (build 1.8.0_60-b27) on my XP machine right now. It's working fine
as far as I can tell.

Also depends on the model and h/w config...you may be able to run
win-7 and get it to run 1/2 decently...

Aside from the fact that I don't recommend installing a newer Windows
version on an old XP machine, I would think that getting any newer Windows
version (legally) costs money. I thought one of the requirements is that
anything that he throws on there is free.

Bottom line for me is that there is probably still a lot of useful life left
in the machine. How valuable that is depends a lot on who will be using it.
If you can tell that the person is going to be a computer geek (like I was
when I was a kid), then it could provide a lot of value indeed, because it
will not only be a practical device in and of itself, but also a learning
tool. I mean, for those of us who grew up with an Atari 800 or Commodore 64
but are still in computing today, those old machines were not dead-end toys.

John Y.
--
This is the PC Technical Discussion for IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) Users