On 21-Feb-2014 11:56 -0800, Booth Martin wrote:
There has to be a simple way to do this but I have never found it.
When I am typing a word, the software will provide suggestions as to
what I might be trying to type. OK. Great. So how do I tell it
"Yeah, baby, that is it. Next word please" and accept the word, add a
space, and be ready to type the next word?

Quite dependent on the software presenting the options, and the UI [which may be hardware dependent; e.g. touch screen vs keyboard input]. I infer in the scenario alluded, pressing either the space or a punctuation character effects what is commonly referred to as the auto-completion even if possibly better described as auto-selection.

In other applications however, those may require using the tab to highlight a selection and then pressing Enter, or require clicking on the selection from those presented, or simply pressing Enter because the input-line has the predicted value projected there.

For example in the IBM InfoCenter Search, the tab is useless; it simply terminates what is currently typed and navigates to the _GO_ button. In Firefox the navigation input [where a URI is typed], there is the option to either select the currently visible value projected in the input-line simply by pressing Enter, or tabbing through the other selections presented in the pull-down [that popped up when typing was started].