On 10-Feb-2014 06:27 -0800, Don Cavaiani wrote:
Strange question here. I have a older DOS PC football game with a
'stats' file with an .lgs extension. <<SNIP>> I know finding the PC
file record length is an issue, and understanding the PC file layout
is confusing at best, not to mention how it 'converts' when uploaded
to the IBMi.

The names of the software, the .exe, and software provider, each or all might be used as web search criteria to locate web-pages revealing someone already having reverse-engineered the format of the data... or even what someone already having written something to update the data in the file.

FWiW: a "PC file" is deemed to have a record length most typically only when the data is /purely/ text data; the exception in that "purity" being the control character(s) defining each of the EOR [usu. one or both of CR, LF] and EOF. Such records are typically not blank-padded, and thus are varying-length; the length of any record are the bytes preceding the EOR indicator. When a PC file is not a text-file, then the file is generally considered a binary-file, and thus the effects of text conversions are nil, because the file would only ever by transported [e.g. uploaded or downloaded] using binary-transfer mechanisms rather than text-transfer mechanisms.