Thanks Roger - and to other who responded off list.

I'm going to try it but am a little leery because the Win 7 structure doesn't seem to quite map to the XP one. Also most of the web articles I have seen talk of existing settings in the registry related to DNS and those do not appear to be present.

Maybe over the weekend I'll feel brave enough. I used to do registry changes and not worry too much but I've not used Windows to any extent for 6 years now so ...

On 2013-09-05, at 11:07 PM, "Roger Vicker, CCP" <rv-tech@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jon,

This is from the AutoPatcher tweaks for XP and is called Disable Bad DNS
Cache. It might still work for Win7

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]
"NetFailureCacheTime"=dword:00000000
"NegativeSOACacheTime"=dword:00000000
"NegativeCacheTime"=dword:00000000
"MaxCacheTtl"=dword:00003840
"MaxNegativeCacheTtl"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"QueryIpMatching"=dword:00000001

Roger Vicker, CCP

On 9/5/2013 9:46 AM, Jon Paris arranged the binary bits such that:
Anyone know if there is a way (other than via ipconfig /flushdns) to make Win 7 attempt a DNS resolve when a previous attempt resulted in a "not found" condition?

Situation is that if my Win 7 VM attempts a connection while the VPN is down it appears to cache the "not found" scenario and will not attempt a resolve unless I flush the cache - which is a really annoying waste of time.

Surely there is a setting somewhere?

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com

--
*** Vicker Programming and Service *** Have bits will byte *** www.vicker.com ***
Eat one live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.