Hi Folks,

Interesting question. I did not know that Crashplan was so popular, so I will have to give it a look-see.

I have one cloud backup company and event for iSeries and PC backup. The software is eVault, the main alternative for that style backup is Asigra, and there are one or two other players, Robobak is one. The company we use is VaultLogix. Since we do this mainly for iSeries backup (our network guy insists he has backup under control with cash and carry) I can not compare much to the PC backups. You can find lots of problem stories on the net for Carbonite especially, also Mozy, personally I do not consider those as true business backup solutions, at least not in their beginning state, We pay about $10 per gigabyte per month, 5 gig minimum, so that might be a deal-breaker for massive PC backup, but not if you have selective data file backup.

The software, support and notifications are quite nice. The company I chose was one of the least expensive of the "true service" companies, although one company recently claimed they could come in with a nice savings, with equal or better service and support. Since the cost of what we have is sort of pocket change to the company as is, and it works, I filed it for later consideration. A lot of the fancy companies are a lot more expensive, sometimes offering more extensive overall iSeries restore capabilities.

If you are looking for info about experiences on the PC plans, Donationcoder would also be a great place for a thread.

I just noticed that VaultLogix comes out high in this list under small-medium business
http://www.backupreview.info/2012/01/01/top-100-online-backup-companies-for-january-2012/

Afaik, that site is reputable, not a shill. And you will find links to various reviews, top-10 and such, maybe discussions of issues.

For my home personal backup, I like having a very simple Total Commander style file manager, which comes with DriveHQ. Apparently if you set up WebDav with some of these services (including DriveHQ) to assign a drive #, you can backup using standard PC backup software, like Backup4All or Cobian. That seems like it can be helpful in some circumstances.

Steven Spencer
Queens, NY