On 11/29/2011 1:23 PM, Mike Wills wrote:
To a kid/teen, status is everything. It does't matter what is better,
it matters having that one item. Nike Air Jordans, Apple, and Mustang
are/were status symbols. You speaking from the geek level. The "common
person" doesn't always know or care about feature x. All they want is
something reliable. Based on the experience my wife is having, Android
isn't there yet. She has to reboot/pull battery at least once a week.
Again due to fragmentation and different hardware/software. Apple
doesn't have that problem as they control everything to provide the
ultimate experience.

Apple is not much different than what IBM does for their Power Systems
line of servers. I can't install i/OS on any other server platform.
Can I?

Hee! I am sooooo not going to argue this line of reasoning. Seriously, if you're worried about bricking your phone and you're willing to live within Apple's cocoon in order to avoid that eventuality, then by all means go for it. And the status symbol thing is purely between you and your kid, I wouldn't even think of treading into that particular minefield. I've never worn a pair of Air Jordans in my life and neither has my kid, but that's me.

The IBM i versus iPhone comparison is an interesting one, but I look at it more like this: I don't expect to have or need a whole lot of options on my M1A2 Abrams. That doesn't mean there should only be one make and three model of consumer automobiles. My i is a tank, my phone is a station wagon.

Anyway, I was simply mentioning technical facts, and the technical facts are that Android is more flexible and more ubiquitous. Not to mention the fact that I don't have to learn Objective C. <smile>

Joe