In the Application section of the Event Viewer of Admin Tools I found several MsInstaller entries beginning on 15 August shortly after 0300 and repetitively every day since then. All have something to do with SQL Server, which I did not know I had on my PC. The last entry is: Product: MSXML 6 Service Pack 2 (KB954459) -- Configuration failed. The KB references a security update. I was not even aware that I had SQL Server on my PC, but it shows up in the Start button's Program tab with a Configuration Tools sub-tab. My boss says he does not have this on his PC, and we both got our PC's at the same time with Office 2007 Pro installed.

Up until 11 August these same events show up plus references to NET Framework and Office Professional Hybrid 2007. Nothing on 12-14 August, and the events on and after 15 August make no reference to Office or NET Framework.

These events are, it seems to me, part of Windows Update as it is scheduled to run at 0300 every day. Why it did not run on the 12th - 14th is unknown to me since my PC is left on 24 x 7.

Unless someone objects strenuously, I'm just going to whack those temporary directories tomorrow.

Thanks.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker. -Albert Einstein