To be clear, as I understand the story having heard it from more than one person in Rochester, it was not their choice to give up on the "smart 5250 terminal", rather it was a case where the senior leadership in IBM felt the idea would be better served by the Boca Raton group so it was moved there.

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC

On 6/19/2010 10:23 AM, cfuture wrote
Thanks for the link to idevcloud Jim.
"What might have been..."

Frank Soltis, genius that he is, said once in a presentation at a local
users' group meeting that his biggest regret was deciding not to include
a GUI for the system, thinking that a business system had no need for
it. I think I heard it right. But during the time he was making that
decision, if this is true, that probably would have been at least 95
percent of the midrange market...

--Alan

Jim Oberholtzer wrote:
Keep your eye on http://www.idevcloud.com for the developer micro
partitioning on IBM i.

As to the other points I agree that "smart terminals" AKA thin clients
are the future with the main processing and storage back in the data
center where it is better managed and the cost of ownership is much lower.

Funny, that's what Rochester tried to do with the 5250 terminal back in
the late 70s. Put a floppy/hard drive on it and allow the internal
processor to do more than just serve up 24*80 line screens. The IBM
boys in Boca Raton, FL grabbed that idea and the IBM PC was born about a
year later........ Ya gotta wonder what might have been.....