Funny, I just bought one 4 days ago for the same purpose. I am still loading
software on it( Toshiba NB305) but so far I am more than pleased.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:38 AM
To: pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [PCTECH] Netbook Price / Performance

The other day I got the wild idea that my life might be more complete if I
had a netbook. The "justification" was that it would be easier to take on
vacation and times when I didn't want to lug my laptop around. I got this
wild idea when I was strolling through Wal-Mart and passed their
electronics department and saw a couple of Acer netbooks on display. (I'm
not in the habit of purchasing new computers at Wal-Mart. I tend to shop
for those online at Newegg.com, Dell, etc.) It doesn't need to do a lot.
I mostly want it for wi-fi Internet access and a place to temporarily dump
photos from my digital camera. There are times when it would be nice to
stream videos or play an .mpg file that I've DVRed. If it got lost,
damaged, or stolen it wouldn't have been as costly as if it were my
laptop.

The vast majority of ones that I've see on Newegg have the Atom N450
processor. There are a handfull of Atom N270 and Atom N280 processors
with an occasional Celeron. I'm not familiar with how the Atom performs
compared with various Pentium processors. Can I load up most software and
expect it have slower but decent performance or would I be getting my
hopes up? It would be nice to keep the price below $300 but I don't want
buy something cheap but unusable. I imagine that battery life might be
more of a consideration than on a laptop.

Any thoughts or recommendations of features or manufacturers?

Dave Parnin