I have had my iPod Touch for a couple years now and haven't had any problems
with the flash memory. It is much better than it used to be. And just so you
know, I listen to about 40 hours of podcasts a week. I am syncing my Touch
multiple times a day. It gets used heavily.

HDMI, I believe is available though an add-on.

Rumors are starting to appear (more seriously) about multitasking coming.
These Apple rumors don't just come out of thin air. They are usually based
on something. Heck the iPad has been coming out for 7 years before it came
out.

I did initially question about the eyestrain, but a good eBook reader app
allows you to make the background black and the text white. It doesn't seem
to strain my eyes as bad as if it were a white screen. I have never
seen/used a Kindle, but I hear that eye strain is a non-issue for it. For
battery life, think about this, how many hours straight would you be reading
a book? I doubt it would be much more than 10 hours in a row. I plug my iPod
Touch in every night, it isn't that hard to do. I have also heard the two
weeks for the Kindle is only if you don't use it. The more you read, the
quicker the battery drains.

I will be seriously looking at it when I can justify buying a netbook. I
wanted a netbook for sitting in front of the TV and for over-night ventures.
This could take place of that. I don't really NEED a laptop if I had
something like that. Heck, I even have a 5250 emulator on my iPod Touch now.
I could works on the road! :-) NOT!

--
Mike Wills
http://mikewills.info