And there's always the usual suspects:
- Run Defrag.
- Run MSCONFIG and look in the Startup tab. A lot of applications like
QuickTime and Acrobat Reader have 'stubs' that start when the PC boots.
They're generally there to improve load time for the apps when they're
launched but aren't mandatory. If you don't mind an extra half second
the first time Acrobat Reader opens, disable its stub.
- How much RAM does your machine have? Does it get caught up page
swapping while booting?
- See if you have a slug for a hard drive. If it's 4200 RPM, run -
don't walk - to your procurement people and have them order you a
7200RPM replacement drive. If it's 5400 RPM then it's OK, but 7200 will
be better. If pockets are truly deep, replace your HD with a Solid
State Drive. Sustained transfers are good; seek time is near instant
(since it's essentially a RAM drive).
- What services are loading? Compare with Black Viper's services config
to see what can be disabled. Go to
http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm and follow the
services tweaks for your particular Windows version.