Are  USB Drives  bootable?
Say   I  want to  boot of the USB  which is an image  copy of  my C drive.

At 07:24 AM 3/21/2007, you wrote:
Good info, but it doesn't address my question:  Why should it matter at
all if the drive is solid state or platter-based?

Flash drives have high capacity.  They are bootable.  They can be
formatted with the same three file systems (FAT16, FAT32, NTFS)
available to platter drives.  They are for all intents and purposes
identical from a functionality standpoint.  The only noticeable
differences are the identifier and that Flash drives are better
(smaller, use less power, generate less heat, have zero moving parts,
faster, more enviro-friendly) in every way except price.

Unless MS is side-stepping it's own supported file systems, there is no
_technology_ reason that would prohibit a Flash drive from doing
on-the-fly backups.  So in addition to my original question, I now have
to ask : What is Microsoft's _marketing_ reason for reducing
functionality and only supporting an inferior solution?

--
John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer