From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 9:49 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Linksys wireless gaming adapter is useless

Yeah, I would like to be able to do this ... but our family room is on
slab, so there's no real way to run the wire.

I would also be open to running a wire along the joists ... but I
can't
figure out how to get my fish all the way to the basement.

Our family room also sits on a slab next to the main house with a
basement
but has no direct access.  About 10 or 12 years ago I wanted to run
cat-5,
phone, and CATV from the basement to the 2nd floor of the main house but
had the same dilemma of how to get from the basement to areas that
weren't
directly above the basement.  The solution was to first go out into the
garage from the basement.  The joist above the basement sit on the
foundation which gave me about a foot of clearance to drill a hole.
Once
in the garage I used surface-mounted channel to protect the wires while
they go over to a corner and up into the "ceiling", which is actually
the
eves next to the bedroom that is over the garage.  From there, they run
through the air space above the fiberglass insulation that goes over the
bedroom.  There is a similar air space going down to the eves above our
family room.  By chance, at the peak of the air space (above the
garage/bedroom roof) there is a small access hole that connects to the
attic above the 2nd floor bedrooms.  If your house has a similar floor
plan
and if space above the garage is unfinished it could be a lot easier.

Basically for me, this meant a lot of measuring, climbing, crawling
through
blown-in insulation, more measuring, more climbing and crawling, but
ultimately when I drilled holes down from the attic I always drilled
into
the wall space, not through the ceiling in a room.  Still, it was a LOT
of
work.  Also, before I drilled down from the attic into any wall space I
first drilled a small pilot hole and had my wife watching to see if I
was
drilling through the ceiling, just in case my measurements were off.
You
also need to do a bit of planning and a good drywall saw to cut the
holes
in the walls.  In the end you get nice wall plates that look like they
belong in the room.

I'm also a firm believer that in addition to pulling the wire you also
pull
a string to be left in the wall in case you ever want to do it again.
That
will save a lot of time and aggravation of having to re-fish the
additional
wire.  If you can afford it, it also doesn't hurt running extra wire
that
you may not need now (like a 2nd data or phone) but might need later.

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571