On 7/7/06, qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx <qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

pctech-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>   1. ZoneLabs technical (non-)support? (Dan)
>
>What is this esteemed group's general impression of the technical support
>offered by ZoneLabs?

Dan:

I've needed ZA support only once, and the forum was sufficient. I've never
needed to contact their actual technical support group.

The ZA on-line forum is more like the Midrange-L or RPG400-L list than it
is like calling IBM support. The participants are essentially ZA users who
help each other. But then, M-L and R-L are free, while actual IBM support
costs a few bucks. Some ZA people monitor the forum, I suppose; but I'd
guess they're pretty wary about speaking up. They could be flooded in
minutes. ZA has a _lot_ of users and probably a lot of customers.

Did you get a support contract from ZA when you purchased? I'm thinking
that it would need to be relatively expensive compared to the product price.
The cost of handling a single support call could easily surpass the price of
the product.

Tom Liotta

Hi Tom,

You *did* see that the "conversation" was with ZoneLabs tech (no-)support,
right?  If it were the forums, I would understand; it seems there are a lot
of people that are "running around like chickens with their heads cut off".
The conversation I posted here was with a (supposedly) ZA tech.

I finally decided to permanently deny this application.  I've never had a
problem with email, always careful about opening any attachments (have to
expect it and know who was sending it), and I use Thunderbird.

And I think I'll switch to Kerio when my ZA sub expires later this year.

- Dan