Option 3 is good. How old are your kids?

If your kids are:
0-5 any basic PC is just fine. Their educational games are pretty simple.
5-12 spend a bit more cash and get one with 1 GB of RAM and a decent
graphics card. The games this range normally play can get to be big.
13+ if they are paying lots of games... well tell them to buy their own PC
;-). You can get a really good gaming PC for around a grand.

My 2 pennies.