Here's the update on my logoff / admin / password problem.

I never did supply xp with an admin password.  The system was set to
not require a user and password.

after a few google searches, I found this page describing what to do:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305

It didn't describe my problem exactly, but it did give me options.  It
involved 'recovering' the existing xp installation, by booting to the
winxp cd and taking the recovery option.  During the 'finding devices'
portion of the setup, I pressed shift - F10 to get a command prompt.

>From there you can key >nusrmgr.cpl to open the user accounts app in
the control panel.  You can use that to change your passwords, delete
or add users.

but what I did, was key >control userpasswords2 which brings up
another app which allows you to uncheck a box that says:

"users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

This is what I did - it then asked me for the user name to log into
when it restarts - I blanked this out (this was the wrong thing to
do), applied changes and said ok.

I let it finish the recovery, it rebooted and then offered an empty
logon prompt and an error - "cannot log on <something or other>"

I then tried entering Administrator without a password, no help.  I
then tried "Richard Baird" - which was the name I registered it with -
and no password, and I'm in!!!

so, in retrospect, I'm thinking I could have saved myself having to
reinstall (repair - saved all installs and settings except for AVG
anti-virus).

I believe (I will NOT be testing this) that I could have pressed
CTL-ALT-DEL twice from the welcome screen to get a winNT style log on
prompt and just typed in 'Richard Baird' with no password, and it
would have worked.

I'm still ticked off that it got me in this mess in the first place -
why WHY would it let me log off, only give me the option for
Administrator login, require a password when I never gave it one to
begin with and not offer "Richard Baird" as a valid login?

For the biggest, most advanced software company in the world, with the
most resources, best 'talent', and richest owner, it's just
inexcusable.  I'm certain i'm not the first person to do this, so
there's no excuse to not have anything in the knowlege base to fix the
problem either.

no excuse whatsoever.

anyway, thanks for all the suggestions,