Some thoughts ...

-- nice of the company to buy someone else equipment. I wouldn't have, for
this very reason.

-- Make sure that the DNS settings are correct, as DHCP can be set to NOT
import DNS.

-- Is there a proxy server that needs to get set?

-- Windows Firewall got added with SP2 - perhaps it is on and blocking the
traffic.

-- Did you reboot after renaming the computer?

-- some laptops have connection manager software to manage the various
connections -- IBM's have "IBM Access Connections" -- perhaps this needs to
be corrected.

Good luck.