On 7/10/05, Walden H. Leverich <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The problem I had w/iTunes is that you can't encode at one rate for the
> PC and then cross-code to a lower rate for the iPod.

True there.

> I had been using iTunes, but I encode at 320VBR and that fills up my
> 20Gig iPod really fast.

Same here, but I also found that I have *tons* of music I never listen
to, so now I only load the iPod with songs rated three stars or
higher.  But I still haven't finished ripping all my CD's, plus
there's that eMusic subscription...

> So... I've abandoned iTunes and moved to WMP for
> online management and use Anapod Explorer for download to the iPod, it
> allows me to re-encode the MP3s at a lower rate on the fly for the iPod.

I'll have to remember that once I finally fill mine completely with
music I like.

While we're on the subject of iTunes...  Is there any way to modify a
remote playlist when you're using iTunes to stream from one computer
to another?  I use our home PC upstairs as a music server and I'll
hook my laptop up to the stereo in the livingroom and use iTunes
streaming feature to listen to my music.  Works great, but there's no
way to change the playlist or use a remote playlist in Party Shuffle.

> I looked at WinAmp too, but their encoder is slow as a B10.

That's what I used to use to encode (pre-iPod).  Both the iPod and
iTunes have trouble with some VBR MP3's encoded by WinAmp.  WinLame is
the fastest encoder I've found, but I'm pretty sure you have to use
something else to rip your CD's.