Mike,

You're the man!  Last night I looked around on the motherboard, found the
model (right between the first two slots), went to the Web site, downloaded
the display drivers, installed them, and they worked perfectly.  It wasn't
even close to what was on the CD that I was given.  In some respects I
think I was a little lucky since it turned out to be an Asus motherboard
instead of something less common.  Still, the the main thing is that it
works, the project is done, and I'm happy.  I didn't have to watch the
screen on boot up or anything.  I was half tempted to get the BIOS updates
while I was at it but decided not to tempt fate.  I'll definitely add this
to my bag of tricks for next time.

Thanks again!

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Mike Wills

                      <koldark@xxxxxxxx        To:       PC Technical
Discussion for iSeries Users
                      m>                        <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@SMTP@CTB

                      Sent by:                 cc:       (bcc: David A
Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/SPCO)
                      pctech-bounces@mi        Subject:  Re: [PCTECH] Drivers

                      drange.com

                      07/19/2004 03:00

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      PC Technical

                      Discussion for

                      iSeries Users

                      <pctech@midrange.

                      com>

Usually, they are right near the PCI or AGP slots. For the good
brands, the el' cheapos don't even put a model on the sucker. It
really sucks, but boy do you feel accomplished after finding drivers
that work!

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:52:43 -0500, daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the response Mike (and earlier from John),
>
> John suggested driverguide.com.  I've used them in the past and checked
> them again this time but what I found didn't work.  I hadn't thought
about
> just hunting with Google for any printed numbers on the motherboard.  The
> only problem there is that I will have to unplug some ribbon and power
> cables in order to see the whole board.  All for a video driver...  My
> friend got his PC from his former employer after it was replaced in an
> upgrade.  I'm surprised that he had the setup CD for it.  I'm also
> suspicious that it actually goes with the board.
>
> Thanks for the idea!
>
> Dave Parnin
> Nishikawa Standard Company
> Topeka, IN  46571
> daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>                       Mike Wills
>                       <koldark@xxxxxxxx        To:       PC Technical
Discussion for iSeries Users
>                       m>
<pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@SMTP@CTB
>                       Sent by:                 cc:       (bcc: David A
Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/SPCO)
>                       pctech-bounces@mi        Subject:  Re: [PCTECH]
Drivers
>                       drange.com
>
>                       07/19/2004 02:32
>                       PM
>                       Please respond to
>                       PC Technical
>                       Discussion for
>                       iSeries Users
>                       <pctech@midrange.
>                       com>
>

> Hmm... so you have a built-in video. I would first check out the
> manufacturer of your motherboard. If you don't know what it is... try
> doing a google search for any sets of numbers printed on the board.
> You should at least locate a FCC ID. Then with that you should be able
> to find the model and manufacturer of the board. From there you should
> hopefully find the drivers.
>
> I used to rebuild computers at a local shop here. There was only once
> I couldn't find a driver for a component.
>
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:57:22 -0500, daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Last week I did a Win 98 reload on a friend's PC.  Everything went
fine.
> > The PC is now 99% set up and ready to go except that Windows 98 didn't
> > recognize the built in video on the motherboard (ironically, circa
> > 1996-98).  I've got an install CD that has instructions for Windows 95.
> > Since the CD is older and a different version of Windows I thought I
> would
> > try to download "current" drivers.
> >
> > I tried the manufacturer's site (Trident Microsystems) and found
nothing.
> > I also tried some of the sites that I used to go to such as
Download.com,