Good point, Tom.  Does it help that I'm connecting thru a firewall/router
(Gigafast)?

Does Klez infect without having to be on a certain site that has it?  I
would think that if you clicked on Windows Update icon, you'd never be
anywhere but on a MicroSh*t site.

BTW, ended up scratching the drive.  The Advanced Recovery Mode on Norton's
DISKEDIT looked like it would never end after 40 hours of "scanning" the
drive.  (Those were 40 hours I was too busy otherwise to do anything with
the PC.)  Ran Maxtor's PowerMax diags, third test down the list detected
"defective" drive, thought I was SOL as this drive just fell out of
warranty.  However, fourth on the list was the option to do a low-level
format, which surprises me, I thought LLF's were obsolete as of about ten
years ago (onset of IDE drives???).  But I ran it anyway, finished
successfully, ran all the other tests again, clean as a peach.

Used Maxtor's MaxBlast to set up partitions and format.

Then I started the reload... (continued under new topic)

db