Symantec's publicly available documentation on DISKEDIT is virtually
non-existent, and what does exist is so high-level that it's basically
worthless.  This includes the printed manual, Symantec's web site, and
DISKEDIT's online help.

As I think I mentioned in a previous post, I'm running DISKEDIT in /M
(Maintenance) mode and running some kind of process in Advanced Recovery
Mode that appears to be inspecting sector by sector.  I expected that to
finish after the "Root SCN" counter reached the number of sectors on the
partition, which happened (the counter reached the number of sectors) this
morning after about 33 hours.  But it's still going strong.

Does anyone know what the Root SCN is?  And any other information of value
that may help me understand what's going on?

In case it's of any help whatsoever, here is a copy of what the screen looks
like:

                Norton Utilities Tools
                  Advanced Recovery

Physical Values
  Hard Disk: 1   Physical sectors: 60,041,520   Size: 28 GB
  Sides: 176   Cylinders: 5415   Sectors per Track: 63

This Partition
  ------- Starting -------    -------- Ending --------
  Side   Cylinder   Sector    Side   Cylinder   Sector
    1         0        1      175      5413       63
  Prior sectors: 63   Total sectors: 60,030,369   Size: 28 GB

Partition Parameters
  Bytes/Sector:      512          FAT copies:         2
  Sectors/Cluster:   128          FAT Type:           32-bit
  Rsvd Sectors:      1            Sectors/FAT:        3665
  Root Dir. Entries: [VAR...]     Media Descriptor:   F8 hex
  Root SCN:          nnnnnnnn     Ext. Int13 Support: No

The "nnnnnnnn" is a rolling number, currently up to 67,000,000+.  I figured
it would have stopped at the number of physical or partition sectors, but
honestly I have no idea what Root SCN is.

Advice welcomed.

db