Hi Jeff -

I talked to Verizon.  They had me change my Outlook settings to use (for
outgoing mail) outgoing.verizon.net instead of mail.dilgardfoods.com.  Then
sending to my cell phone works!

Out of the frying pan into the fire. In both cases you are sending from a Verizon IP address and Verizon has a poor reputation in the anti-spam community.

Your IP address (the one associated with mail.dilgardfoods.com) is on more blocklists than the IP address associated with outgoing.verizon.net because your IP address is on lists for blocking dynamic IP addresses (even though in really it may not be dynamic).

Is this what I have to do?

CHGSMTPA MAILROUTER('outgoing.verizon.net') FIREWALL(*YES)

If so, how/where do I tell it the user ID/password for
outgoing.verizon.net?

Or do I have to do somethng like:

CHGSMTPA MAILROUTER('192.168.0.250') FIREWALL(*YES)

Where 192.168.0.250 is the router?

The mail router is the MTA (mail transport agent), not an IP router.

I recommend that you make arrangements with a non-spamming ISP to route your mail through their system.

You could leave your iSeries and everything else pointing to mail.dilgardfoods.com, and change your mail server software on mail.dilgardfoods.com to forward the mail on to the mail server of the ISP that you make arrangements with. (You also can do this to forward to outgoing.verizon.net.) This keeps the configuration in one place.

Whether your mail server can authenticate itself with a user-id and password depends on the specific software and version of that software. Assuming that your IP address actually is a static IP address, you should be able to make arrangements to have your mail accepted on the basis of your IP address. I have that kind of arrangement with an ISP in North Carolina.

--
Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/