From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Bob Crothers
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 8:53 AM
To: 'PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users'
Subject: RE: [PCTECH] Internet Filter Software

Chuck,

At home, I have a cable modem and only 3 machines in my network.  At
work, we have a T1 going to a Cisco router and about 20 machines in
the network.

Both locations use IPCop.

You do NOT have to build a Linux machine to use IPCop.  In fact, you
cant.  You download the ISO, burn it to a cd, put it in the pc that
will be the firewall and boot.  It will load a specialized version of
the Linux kernel.

IPCop is just like any other firewall.  It sits between your network
and the Internet.

Your DSL comes into a DSL Modem....that is either internal to your PC
or and External with an Ethernet or USB connection.

Easiest if is it is Ethernet. But IPCop does support a bunch of
Internal modems.  Not sure about USB modems.

Maybe this is the excuse we need for you to buy me lunch!

Bob