From: Adam Lang [mailto:aalang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 1:52 PM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Exprting data into Excel drops leading zero

Not really Microsoft's fault.  It is Surveyor/400s fault.  They are
exporting improperly.

When you export to CSV, it just dumps everything as a string.  Excel "auto
formats" the data base don what it reads in.  If everything is numeric, it
assumes it is a number and kills the leading zeros.

Now, if Surveyor was exporting correctly, they would be assigning the cells
as a text format so Excel knows not to treat them as numbers.

If you use the Client Access data transfer utility, and transfer to an XLS
file, the XLS file will keep the proper formatting for fields like zip codes
and such if they are defined as strings on the AS/400.  They coded it
correctly.

This is not something to blame on Microsoft.  Surveyor/400 is doing a poor
job of exporting.  I have written a variety of VB programs that work with
data on the AS/400 and I dump data to a spreadsheet and it is very simple to
programmatically format the cell before you dump the data to it.  I would
consider it a bug in Surveyor's part.