gary asked me to forward this as he was having problems

Rob Dixon

(Gary, I will respond tomorrow)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [PcTech] Recovering XP Pro after Thinkpad hard disk
Date:   Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:21:42 -0700
From:   Gary Kuznitz <docfxit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     Rob Dixon <rob.dixon@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Rob,

Sorry for emailing this to you directly. For some reason my emails are being bounced from the list. I sent an email to Dave yesterday but he hasn't responded yet. I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you so I thought it might be best to get it to you directly. If you choose you are welcome to send this to the list. If / when Dave fixes the bounce problem I will send it to the list if you haven't already.

There are lots of Anti-Virus programs around. It sounds like Chuck has had some good success with Sophos AV so you might want to try it. I haven't tried it (and I haven't walked into any company using it) myself so I know nothing about it. I have been using eTrust for many years in many companies. The signature files are anti-virus updates for eTrust. They are small and download either automatically or manually (depending on your preference). They download in the background with no (I haven't found any even on slow PC's) reduction of processing power while you are doing something else. Another wards eTrust isn't a PC hog. If I choose I can run a full scan of the hard drive in the background while I am actively running other programs with no slow down. I don't usually run full scans manually because eTrust protects all files coming in from all inputs into the PC. (Some antivirus programs only protect email) When it's installed you have a choice of when to setup (if you like) the downloads (I do once per day) and when to do full scans. ( I do at midnight) Although I don't always have my PC's on at midnight theoretically if I was lucky enough to receive a virus that was not identified by eTrust on one day and was identified the next day it would be caught with a full scan. It would also be stopped if I went to use the file. By the way this has not happened yet with eTrust. It did happen to me a number of times with McAfee. (when I was running it) To sum it up. eTrust is inexpensive to run, Non evasive, easy to keep updated (it does it itself), easy to understand and catches everything. (unlike Norton antivirus). Yes I have to put a plug in here for Norton. And I'm probably going to get a lot of flake for it. For some reason there are a lot of people using Norton. I have no idea why people are attracted to Norton but they are. I have proven time and time again Norton anti-virus causes problems within PC's and it doesn't catch all the viruses. I had someone last week come to me and ask why they have a virus when they have been running Norton for a long time and the updates are current. Miraculously when they (or I )remove Norton and install eTrust peoples PC's run faster, crash less and don't get infected with a virus. Ok... I feel better now that I got my plug in let the sparks fly.

Enjoy,

Gary Kuznitz

PS:  I don't work for any anti-virus company or any company associated with any
anti-virus company.  I am just a happy user.

On 28 Aug 2003 at 7:52, Rob (Rob Dixon <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>) commented about
Re: [PcTech] Recovering XP Pro after Thinkpad har:

Gary

Many thanks for your suggestions. I also like a "clean" PC and I knew that I would have to reinstall but hoped that someone might persuade me that it was unnecessary.

I was thinking of using Sophos AV as they are just down the road from here (and as recommended later by Chuck). What do the eTrust signature files achieve?

Many thanks for your help once again.

Best wishes

Rob Dixon