Thanks, Kevin!  I've found two competing pages on the subject.  There's the one you mention below, which (among other things) tells me how to set my path permanently via .profile.  I also found this page:

https://www.shieldadvanced.com/Blog/ibm-i/setting-up-ssh-access-to-ibm-i/

Here, Chris uses .profile to change the shell to bash, but then uses .bashrc to set the path.  These two pages slightly conflict, and also I note that the first page doesn't seem to change the shell for the session.  I admit I'm pretty clueless here, but I'm doing my best.  Chris' page also mentions 5733SC1 which I don't have installed, but that hasn't stopped me from starting the SSHD server (which in turn enabled the open source package management option of ACS). Interestingly, though, there is no SSHD server in my list of servers in System i Navigator.

Anyway, I'm dragging slightly further afield here.  I of course tried to do it my own way and stuffed the PATH and the exec both into my .profile, like so:

 ************Beginning of data**************
PATH=/QOpenSys/pkgs/bin:$PATH
exec /QOpenSys/pkgs/bin/bash

Seems like it might work.  Then I don't have to fiddle with .bashrc.  But who knows, maybe that's a bad idea.  It gives me results I don't particularly like when I start my session.  For starters, I see this:

bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): A system call received a parameter that is not valid.
bash: no job control in this shell
bash-4.4$

And at that point, the shell does strange things (it responds to keyboard input in an odd way, and I have to hit enter twice to see things).  But as has been pointed out, QSH probably isn't the way to go anyway, so my next trick is to get another session attached.  Maybe PuTTY, maybe something else.  I can't remember what I used in the past to talk to my VM sessions.