Thanks also Jim.

I created the .profile file as per Kevin's link as:

# detect if we're in a PASE shell/QSYS.LIB/QSHELL.LIB/UNAME.PGM > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? != 0 -a "$SHELL" != "/QOpenSys/usr/bin/bash" ]then
exec /QOpenSys/usr/bin/bashfi

but /QOpenSys/usr/bin/bash does not exist.

I can see that QOpenSys/pkgs/bin/bash DOES exist - should I be running
that? and if so, would it mean amending both lines above that refer to
bin/bash?

thanks