Liam's efforts are not purely "volunteer" open source; he's got two
different corporate backers for the ILEusion project. So it's
definitely in progress. But as Jack says, if we want it faster, it's
up to us (to either write our own stuff, or contribute to existing
efforts).

For now, I agree that XMLSERVICE is the de facto standard. Kevin said
as much. A lot of folks are already using it in production. If anyone
isn't convinced, they probably can't be convinced to use Node.js or
Python either.

I would love for IBM to allocate double or triple the resources that
they currently are on their open source infrastructure. But I think
it's important to recognize what they've already done, and how fast
they are already moving. I don't know about anyone else, but *to me*
the advances they've made in the last two or three years *feel* even
more substantial and consequential than what they've done in the
previous 15 or 20.

In a way, that very advancement is what is exposing these deficiencies
we're complaining about. If they were content to plod along, polishing
and refining and not exposing their open source infrastructure until
it was as robust and complete as ILE, we'd still have many years to
wait until we got anything at all. (We'd all be retired and Elon Musk
would already have made it to Mars.)

John Y.