Thanks Jeremy.

I've only just installed python3 this week via RPM which tells me it is
2.0.5.8-1.

The command you list above tells me it's 2.0.5.8.

The little I've done with Python I really like it.

And I've been impressed with what I've seen of xlsxwriter module - really
powerful and so much easier to use than building spreadsheets with cgidev
or most other native methods I've used.

I'd love to start building some proper reports with it to replace a bunch
of awful csvs, but probably the best I can hope for is to build a generic
tool like John's 9-line example which has still got to be a lot better than
CPYTOIMPF building csvs.

The only awkward file I'm aware of at my current site has json messages
stored in a max 2MB CLOB. I'd be interested to see how I can get at that
data, directly in python, so far I've handled all of that in DB2 SQL but I
did throw it out to the IFS to provide a "quick view" of the data via DSPF
and the python json module was great and really easy to pretty print that
with.

So many possibilities!
best regards,
Craig