Question ? How many sites allow users or subscribers to connect to IBM I Apache Instance ? None of our users or subscribers every connects directly to the IBM I Apache Instance.

Thanks
John Slanina

-----Original Message-----
From: OpenSource <opensource-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Kelly Cookson
Sent: Monday, June 4, 2018 3:42 PM
To: IBMi Open Source Roundtable <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IBMiOSS] [EXTERNAL] Re: Ports and routes needed to replace very large numbers of green screens

Hi John,

I used to think Node.JS would provide better performance than CGI on the IBM i. However, based on conversations over at the WEB400 list, I've had a change of mind. It was pointed out to me that CGI performs better on the IBM i than it does on other systems. I am by no means an expert. But WEB400 got me looking into the IBM documentation, and I read enough to accept what the good folks at WEB400 were saying.

Now, under extremely large loads of concurrent requests, Node.JS might have an edge. But more than one person has told me that such extreme loads would be handled using multiple boxes, so performance with Node.JS still might not be any better than with CGI from a client's perspective.

I think the reasons for using Node.JS would be something other than performance (or web serving or routing). They would be things like:

* Having prior skills with JavaScript and Node.JS.

* Wanting the use the same programming language to develop the front-end and back-end of web apps.

* Wanting to use popular frameworks like Express or Electrode.

* Wanting to use popular libraries and frameworks like React.JS, Angular, or Vue.JS to develop single page web apps.

* Wanting to use libraries or modules made available in npm.

If you're a .NET shop as well, then you can apply Node.JS skills to .NET web apps using Microsoft's JavaScript Services. JavaScript Services allow .NET web apps to use JavaScript functions and libraries that run on Node.JS under the covers. So, as one example, you could use the JavaScript library React.JS to develop single page web apps in .NET.

Finally, Microsoft, like IBM, is a platinum member of the Node.JS foundation. Both companies are invested in Node.JS technology. It is at least possible that Node.JS will becomes a technology that allows developers to work more comfortably in an environment that uses both IBM i and Windows systems.

Having said that, I think CGI and PHP and Java (and some other technologies) can be just as useful as Node.JS. We have a team looking at all of these options and more. I'm not trying to say that Node.JS is the best solution for everybody.

Thanks,

Kelly Cookson
IT Project Leader
Dot Foods, Inc.