Yes, the design of chroot requires it to be a privileged operation (root
user only on Unix systems, *ALLOBJ user on IBM i).

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot
"Only the root user can perform a chroot. This is intended to prevent
users from putting a setuid program inside a specially crafted chroot jail
(for example, with a fake /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow file) that would
fool it into a privilege escalation."

Imagine if chroot was not privileged on a platform like Linux:

- user creates a chroot tree (/my_chroot) with a specially crafted
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow that have the root password set to "password1"
- user copies the /bin/su in to this directory tree
- user chroots in to chroot tree
- user runs su, which prompts for the password and the user enters
"password1"
- su reads from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow (really /my_chroot/etc/passwd
and /my_chroot/etc/shadow) to validate the password
- su validates that the password matches what was in the /etc/shadow and
gives the user root authority
- *BOOM* privilege escalation

Now of course, IBM i does not use an /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow, so those
particular attacks wouldn't work. However, it would take a lot to think
through all the other possible avenues to attack.

My suggestion instead would be to build a setuid binary, which can run the
chroot command and then drop privileges to the user who ran the command.
You'd probably want to put some sort of registry or access control around
it as well, so that you can control who can access which chroots and that
people couldn't create their own chroots. (or maybe you don't care and
actually want that, idk).

So you could have a chroot.ini (chroot.json, chroot.yaml, chroot.xml,
...):

[python3]
PATH=/path/to/python3/chroot
EXEC=/bin/sh
USERS=joe bob jim

[node4]
PATH=/path/to/node4/chroot
EXEC=/bin/sh
USERS=joe jan

[run_backend]
PATH=/path/to/something/chroot
EXEC=/my/custom/command
USERS=*ALL

# As jim
$ uchroot python3

[python3] $ python3 --version
Python 3.4.4

# as jan
$ uchroot python3
Permission denied

$ uchroot run_backend
Backend processing started
Backend processing completed

$

I could write up some sample code to do that. Not sure where I'd put it,
though.