Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is still trying to install pandas or if any progress is made.

I tried following:

- Installed 5733OPS option 2 - Python 3 (option 4 is not installed)

- Installed 5733OPS option 3 (gcc)

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/GCC

- Installed SI58604

- Tried to setup pandas (after downloading sources manually and putting them in the IFS);

call qp2term

cd /home/qsecofr/pandas-0.18.1

python3 setup.py

Download error on https://pypi.python.org/simple/numpy/: [Errno 73] Connection reset by peer -- Some packages may not be found!

Couldn't find index page for 'numpy' (maybe misspelled?)

distutils.errors.DistutilsError: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('numpy>=1.7.0')

#

cd ../cd numpy-1.11.1

python3 setup.py

Running from numpy source directory.

usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]

or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]

or: setup.py --help-commands

or: setup.py cmd --help

error: no commands supplied

#

python3 setup.py build

Running from numpy source directory.

blas_opt_info:

blas_mkl_info:

libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in ['/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/OPS/Python3.4/lib', '/usr/lib']

NOT AVAILABLE

/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/OPS/Python3.4/lib/python3.4/distutils/dist.py:260: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'define_macros'

warnings.warn(msg)

running build

running config_cc

unifing config_cc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands --compiler options

running config_fc

unifing config_fc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands --fcompiler options

running build_src

build_src

building py_modules sources

building library "npymath" sources

customize IBMFCompiler

Could not locate executable xlf90

Could not locate executable xlf

customize GnuFCompiler

Could not locate executable g77

Could not locate executable f77

customize Gnu95FCompiler

Could not locate executable gfortran

Could not locate executable f95

don't know how to compile Fortran code on platform 'posix'

C compiler: gcc -pthread -Wno-unused-result -DNDEBUG -DPASE -O2 -std=c99

compile options: '-Inumpy/core/src/private -Inumpy/core/src -Inumpy/core -Inumpy/core/src/npymath -Inumpy/core/src/multiarray -Inumpy/core/src/umath -Inum

py/core/src/npysort -I/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/OPS/Python3.4/include/python3.4m -c'

gcc: _configtest.c

sh: gcc: not found

sh: gcc: not found

failure.

File "numpy/core/setup.py", line 654, in get_mathlib_info

raise RuntimeError("Broken toolchain: cannot link a simple C program")

RuntimeError: Broken toolchain: cannot link a simple C program

#

... which leaves me with some issues/questions;

- Should this work compared to pip3 install (which I can't use since the system has no internet access)

- How do I install gfortran (guess I can obtain it from Perzl.org ?)

- Why is gcc not found ?

- Is chroot required ?

While having python on IBM i is fine, the lack of some popular packages is a major issue in the acceptance of it now.

Thanks,

Paul