There is still apple to oranges comparisons going on here, as far as I can see. Node.js, Python, and Ruby (FWIW) doesn't have an 800 pound gorilla like Zend behind it. There are companies that support and contribute to those languages and frameworks but none like Zend that I know of. Having a company wrap its future around a language/framework is a great incentive to grow the product and the community. Zend has done well in leveraging that focus.

Node.js is an open server framework that is used in many, many (and very cool) ways. It isn't a language (uses JavaScript) and there is solid mechanism that allows for a wide variety of community contributions to be quickly and easily used (npm). Python and Ruby are similar. It's kind of like the difference of a company that produces weather forecasts using a private network of weather stations and a "crowd sourced" weather forecasting outfit like Weather Underground. One is focused on developing a product for profit. The other uses open contributions and tries to profit in multiple ways.

This isn't a better/worse comparison. It is just different. There is a definite plus that IBM is now involved a bit more deeply in OSS on IBM i that goes beyond just PHP and Apache. My guess is that we may be able to establish a solid core community around OSS on IBM i in the longer run if only because IBM has stepped into that arena with resources and commitment.

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
LinkedIn - www.linkedin.com/in/petehelgren