I am not on the Common board of directors and I do not speak for Common, only Jeff Carey, current president, can do that.

Here is what I believe has been communicated to me and, btw, I am NOT saying that Common has to have ownership of this thing but I will say the one advantage of having an organization like Common in the middle is because people come and go, and companies come and go, and communities ebb and flow but Common has been around for 60 years while I cannot say that for all the companies that have been in and out of the midrange space. Midrange.com is a bit of an odd duck in this regard in that the community has very nicely sustained this with David's oversight. But when David moves on, what then? Probably someone will graciously host and maintain the site but there is always risk. Common is not an eternal organization and it could morph into something that sidelines IBM i and OSS, but right now, Common has embraced OSS, IBM has embraced OSS we have a community building around it and Common wants to support the effort with no strings attached. No paywall for community content. No requirement of membership. Just an offer to host a central place for community content, whatever form it takes. Will there be paywalled content in the future? My guess is there will be events that focus on OSS that will be fee based. But community contributed stuff will always be free.

That said:

1) I put up some pages at www.common.org/open-source to get us started. Common has a broader web strategy that they are in the middle of implementing and the broader strategy will include a forum and a wiki. Just like the risk Bill Gravelle is taking starting the LinkedIn Group and the Ryver forum, another site at common.org in addition all the others out there may not "stick". Maybe there will never be a central place where all things IBM i OSS can be found. But hope that there can be. So I chose to go with common.org. It may be a mistake to locate content there because some folks have some "baggage" when it comes to Common and therefore may not even visit the site, but the organization isn't going away any time soon and so the location has *some* permanence.

2) Common and idevcloud.com partnered in keeping the YiPS site going which has been a repository for OSS/PASE projects. That is beginning to fragment a bit with some projects landing elsewhere (not sure why but that is how things evolve). I hope to re-skin the site while retaining all the current links (the underlying framework is pretty old). At some point, I don't know when, my guess is a more permanent home will be found. I'd like that home to be common.org or maybe even an IBM i OSS foundation that can maintain a site. Who knows? For now the plan is to continue to support the YiPS site.

3) Common as agreed to fund an open source project if necessary to get some initial traction. Not sure what it will be or how much they are willing to fund but they are will to put some skin the game. I like that idea.

4) We hope to get a core group of folks who can commit to a regular conference call. We need to keep it a manageable size and maybe that will morph into a webcast with a conversational core and a chat option for folks to ask questions or make suggestions. Common is willing to sponsor this as well.

I REALLY like the OSS dashboard idea. I am not sure how to do it and it would be a great opportunity to use many different technologies, all on IBM i, to do it but we'll see how this evolves. So, in short, I see Common as being a good place to "center" stuff instead of starting yet another web presence. In reality, if there was a sustained community funded and more or less permanent organization framework that would continue this effort, a la an Apache-like organization, I would be happy to have stuff live there. But Common s about the best place I can think of for now. The community will vote with its fingertips: If they frequent the site and find it useful, great. If we each end up with our own fiefdoms and everyone is OK with that, so be it.

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
LinkedIn - www.linkedin.com/in/petehelgren