The white collar worker began when 'Personnel' became 'Human Resources'.
That was the point at which management saw us as no more valuable than a
hunk of ore or a screwdriver. Just another material to be acquired,
consumed, and discarded.

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM, John Brandt <pgmr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Very nicely put. I could not have said it better.
Thanks Buck.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Buck Calabro
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 2:02 PM
To: midrange-nontech@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Who's Hiring H-1B Visa Workers? Not Microsoft or
Google,butoffshore-outsourcing firms

This analogy illustrates the problem. Why does an employer entertain
the belief that he can replace a Cadillac with several Yugos? Because
he believes that we are typists, not skilled professionals.

No one with an ounce of sense would remotely conceive of replacing one
skilled Cadillac neurosurgeon with a handful of Yugo interns. We
ourselves play into the hands of the 'cheapest is best' crowd when we
allow ourselves to be referred to in these dehumanised and objectified
terms.

I am not a Cadillac. I am not a 'human resource' to be managed lest I
accidentally mistype something. I am a skilled, IBM software
professional. Measuring my work product in words per minute, LOC or
number of check-ins is as stupid as measuring a neursurgeon's work
product by stitch count. Almost all of my work is accomplished without
any typing at all - my work is *thinking*, not typing and if my employer
doesn't believe that then I am a candidate to be replaced by cheap
labour. I am a problem solver and so are you, and if we want to remain
employed in this field, we need to make that crystal clear to those who
sign the checks.

--buck