On Jan 24, 2008 4:45 PM, Walden H. Leverich <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
WS2008's wbackup can do bare metal restores.
Nice! Haven't played w/it yet. What's the deal? Bootable CD that knows
how to kick off the restore? What if the backup is on a remote server?

Windows PE 2.0 - the same piece of software that the Vista/WS2008
setup runs under.

Windows PE is basically a scaled down version of the Vista/WS2008
Kernel + Base OS, as such you have full network capabilities,
accessing remote shares, etc.

In general, WS 2008 is going to get interesting. Lot's of improvements
have been made, and RTM is only months away. Of course, for larger
companies like yours it will take months/years/decades ( ;) ) until it
gets adopted, but we're already offering solutions to our small
business customers that are based on WS2008.

I've been working with WS2008 for over a year (well, i needed new
playtoys after Vista was released) and everything looks very
promising. The additional year of development time really helped with
ironing out a lot nasty tidbits, my experience so far is very good.
That doesn't mean that WS2003 wasn't a good product, but it has
definitively become of age.

Further improvements with e.G. DFS-R and lots of other parts have been
made, many of which are improvements for small businesses and
Enterprises.

V6R1 has been a bit of a letdown for me on the other hand. There's
also the different approach of both vendors to market.

Microsoft has been pushing WS2008/Longhorn to everyone since years,
you got information, demos, beta versions, could test the software,
play with it, there even was the IIS7 Go Live! thingie which allowed
you to run IIS7 in production.

IBM OTOH didn't say anything, there were no pre-release versions a
normal person could get their hands on, and the improvements we're
going to see in V6R1 are slim. The hardware is still playing catch-up
games with x86 servers (SAS, PCI-E, FB-DIMM), and there's no
definitive word on when we can expect to successor to the models
515/525, based upon current hardware.