midrange-nontech-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>What to do when Y2K causes society to breakdown
>
>By Shannon O'Donnell

Hey, I _still_ haven't figured out what happened. There're still apps that I
_know_ were never fixed. (I was employed elsewhere by the time Y2K hit partly
because there was no approval to get fixes done. I stayed in contact with users
and various IS personnel though, so I had regular updates.)

But essentially _nothing_ happened in any area that I was associated with. And
I cannot believe that my situation was so unique; it must have been repeated
elsewhere. In my case, it was a significant government organization.

Man, were we really that thorough? ("we" -- IT & IS the world over, with so few
glitches)

Or are there hidden logic traps that just haven't become visible to the public
yet?

I recall a project for a municipal government almost 20 years ago where I
rewrote the system for billing Local Improvement District property owners for
various public works projects in neighborhoods. One major glitch in reconciling
the old LID monthly process with the new process during parallel test runs was
the discovery of one LID that had _never been billed_ to the property owners
during its lifetime to that point -- well over 10 years.

I wasn't involved in any of whatever meetings that City officials went through
in resolving it, but it must have been a mess explaining how it could have ever
happened. (I suspect some auditor someplace got chewed at least.) I don't know
when it would have been discovered if the new system hadn't been running
parallel tests.

The ramifications of the system I mentioned at the beginning of this go as far
as improperly checking criminal records for teaching applicants -- potential
child molestation by teachers can put government agencies at a pretty high
liability; but _when_ would a problem appear?

Then again, pretty much all has been quiet. Not absolutely, but overall? Y2K
was a non-event.

Wow. I'm still amazed.

Tom Liotta