John makes a number of good points.  We have just recently deployed 9 IXS
and 1 IXA for different applications.  Overall I think it is very
beneficial to us.  Couple of random thoughts:

1.)  I'd rather not share our CD-ROM.  It does become a tight resource on
occasion.  If I had my way I would have ordered another CD-ROM for specific
use for the IXS.

2.)  While the DASD is more expensive the disk management is better and
when you have a disk intensive application....the performance is much
better.  Of course your mileage may vary but my IXS data spread across 30
some drives will out perform a much larger Dell system with 2 or 4 drives.
Nothing against the Dell system but that is the nature of my world.  It's a
mixed blessing to hear someone say that their SQL server application runs
much faster..... :-)

3.)  Conceptually this changes your hardware management to the iSeries -
some people like it and others don't.  We happen to like it.  It also moves
your hardware maintenance to one spot.  Call our trusted CE for all of our
problems.  Some people may not like that, we happen to have great CE's and
prefer it.

4.)  Changing storage spaces in the IXS world is wonderful.  Removing,
adding, resizing.  It all works as advertised and works well.

5.)  When consolidating windows servers I would not expect to take x number
of external servers and implement them on x - y IXS's.  In our world that
would occur by moving applications to OS/400 and Linux.  For those that I
can't I'd keep on the IXS.....

6.)  It is nice to expand control and backup and recovery to a wider group
of people.  Granted you can do that without implementing IXS's but it does
fit nice into the scheme of things.

7.)  Installing the IXS is a very simple task.  Someone in Rochester has
done a great job on that.

Great concept and very well implemented.  Someone up in Rochester deserves
a lot of credit.....

                      "Jones, John (US)"

                      <John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        To:       Non-Technical
Discussion about the AS400 / iSeries
                      asalle.com>
<midrange-nontech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                                                       cc:

                      02/04/2004 12:13 PM              bcc:

                      Please respond to                Subject:  RE: IxS
adapters (was IBM Linux Ad during Super Bowl - slim shady?)
                      Non-Technical Discussion

                      about the AS400 / iSeries

The short answer is Yes.  But the number of possible IxS cards depends
on your system and will likely be much lower if you're not running a big
box.  12 on an 825, for example.

The purchase price of the IxS + RAM isn't very cheap, at least when
compared to an equivalent Dell.  Current list price for a 2GHz Xeon IxS
is $1900.  I think that includes 512MB RAM but I'm not sure.  Add $1450
for another 1GB RAM.

While you pay a bit more for iSeries vs. PC server disk, that disk can
be easily shared by your IxS servers.  Also, by allocating space only as
needed, you can manage your disk resources better.  You don't wind up
with 36GB disks that are only effectively using 6GB for an
OS/application partition.

You share the iSeries CD-ROM with the IxS.  No additional cost or
footprint.

You share the iSeries tape drive.  Or just have the iSeries back up the
IxS storage spaces itself.  Again, no additional cost or footprint.

Where it becomes really cheap, though, is in the hardware maintenance.
Cost over and above iSeries MMC: $0.

It's also cheaper when you look at the data center cost of the
footprint:  No additional footprint/rack space for the IxS cards and
only a minimal effect on HVAC & power.

There are other benefits:
- The IxS cards tend to be faster than an otherwise equivalent config
because of the underlying disk subsystem.
- The cards, in my experience, have been very stable.
- The Windows servers can be rebooted via a vary off/vary on command.
- There are some remote command capabilities.
- Disk volumes can be moved from IxS to IxS by changing their
description; no save/restore needed.  That includes OS volumes as well
as data volumes.
- The Windows is plain off-the-shelf MS; no iSeries tweaks other than
drivers.
- The can run Citrix or VMWare.

They're great for instances where there is Windows - 400 integration,
like as a deployment server for JDE/PSFT OneWorld.