At 12:44 PM 6/28/2002, you wrote:
>I am 21 years old and have been programming in RPG and E-RPG
>for about 1.5 years. I  love it! But I do not have a degree. My question
>is do you all feel that I could get turned down for a job over someone
>that has a bachelor's degree?

Justin:

As with all answers to this question, this is only my opinion.

Since you are only 21, and if you an afford it (time and money wise), I
would recommend you get a degree.

You will find that, as time goes by, it's harder and harder to allocate the
time and money to such an endeavor.

Personally, I have an associates degree in data processing.   I have been
working in the industry more than 20 years.  At this point in my career, a
degree would not provide any tangible benefit.  It certainly won't increase
my salary.  As I have no desire to move into management, it won't help there.

If I decided to get a degree, it would only be to prove to myself that I
can (which isn't a bad reason to do it anyway).  Unforunately, the nature
of my job and the things I like to do outside of work make the time
commitment difficult.

As for having a degree helping me to get a future job ... yes, it
might.  Two thoughts on that topic:

1. If a company requires a degree to work for their ITS group, I do not
want to work for that company.  Some of the most talented people I know in
the computer industry do not have any sort of degree.  Any company that
excludes people due to the lack of a piece of paper is making bad decisions
and I do not want to be associated with them.

2. Loosing a job opportunity to an equally skilled person who has a
degree.  Oh well, if they have a degree then they are probably more skilled
than I am.  I've never been in that situation before, and (at this point in
time) do not see the need to invest in that possibility.  Yes, I'm taking a
risk... but I acknowledge the risk and accept it.

JMHO, of course.

david