Couldn't agree more......

'Some partners and analysts think that the iSeries is turning its back on
the
entry market. After all, Bittman says, customers who opt for xSeries still
contribute money to the IBM coffer. "The competition has the volume and
business model to eat the iSeries' lunch," he says. "IBM's letting the
iSeries low-end market go. It's not so much a strategy as a lack of one."'

One major flaw with some of this logic is that the xSeries is a market
segment where IBM is loosing market share and seemingly becoming a smaller
player.  It's much more probably that a customer would select a non-IBM
product than it would the xSeries.  For example, we are a decent sized
AS/400 shop.  Any WINTEL or SIAS server?  It's a Dell.  I couldn't pay the
PC/LAN guys here enough to buy an xSeries.

I'd argue that by not allowing the AS/400 to compete in the smaller market
it is actually more detrimental to IBM than the risk of cannibalizing some
of the xSeries market share......

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

mailto:mike.crump@saint-gobain.com

                    MCL
                    <MCL@look.ca>        To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                                         cc:
                    04/09/02 09:28       bcc:
                    AM                   Subject:     Re: Cheaper Servers?
                    Please respond
                    to midrange-l

...for some more information along this line see the article "Low-End
iSeries a
Tough Sale, iSeries Network - Newswatch,  Jill R. Aitoro, March 26, 2002"
and
some of the comments from Mr. David Bruce, Worldwide iSeries Midmarket
Segment
Manager, re:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/news/nwn/story.cfm?ID=14123&channel=home

Ken McLean