Willow,

I haven't read any of these books, and am familiar with only a few of the
authors.  Based on that, only, I'd recommend Guthrie and Madden.  The rest
are probably almost as good, although there is one author in the list whose
opinions I don't trust much.

I'd recommend reading any of these but, even more, I'd recommend hanging out
on these lists and slowly absorbing what you can of the fundamentals.  If
your career situation permits, I'd recommend hanging out on the platform for
a decade or two.  The fact that you're asking this question is the main
thing, because as soon as one thinks they understand a lot about the 400,
IMHO, they limit their ability to learn.

Just don't get discouraged by the age-old saying that the more you know..
the more you find out what you DON'T know.

That discourages me, at times, but it's just a fact that what you don't know
is probably gonna exceed what you do.. at all times, and *no matter* how
much you DO know.  Keep asking questions, listen to people who know
something you don't (and that's everybody), test contradictory ideas against
your experience...

I'm sure you'll do fine...:-)

You're already way ahead of most of us...!  At least you posted to the
correct list...  LOL...!

jt