In the spirit of Senator Wyden's call for a National Technological Guard, we
know there are a number of crises for which inadequate attention is being
paid.  What needs to be done that we can address?  What are the priorities?

Well for one thing, the firewalls in association with iSeries & AS/400 need
to be participating in the international internet storm watch, not lamenting
that hackers are trying every door to find which are not properly locked, and
no one doing anything to round up the hackers ... well this place IS doing
something & they could use our help.
http://www.incidents.org/isw/iswp.php

As JT might say, that is a HUGE idea!

We don't need a FAQ for that, rather we need to communicate to the 400
community what this deal is & help make sure we participate in it ... there
may need to be some software development, shareware or whatever, to connect
IBM to this effort.

If you are not familiar with the internet storm watch, it is a network
connection to a clearing house of firewalls sharing logs of who is attacking
which computers IN REAL TIME ... some Asian hacker is trying to break into an
AS/400, some Californian is trying to break into a European system, some
other hacker ... all the computers being hacked are reporting to the internet
storm watch center IN REAL TIME with information about what sites are trying
to hack them.  The storm watch back traces this to the ISPs involved & seeks
their cooperation to shut down the hackers.  If no cooperation, then higher
authorities called.  In at least one case,  UUNET has shut down an ISP when
in the philosophy of Pres Bush, we are fighting terrorists & people who
support terrorism, well the internet storm watch is fighting cyber terrorists
& people who support cyber terrorists.

We have a duty to inform ourselves about what these people are doing, ask
ourselves if the iSeries AS/400 & other IBM communities ought to be
participating in this civic effort, and if we have not been doing so in the
past, what it takes to do our civic duty.

If you have a hard time getting in at this URL, you could also try
http://www.incidents.org/cid/index.php
or
http://www.incidents.org/submissions/Graphs/read_graph.php

This is cool stuff.

That is one thing that we should do in my opinion & I may mention others in
future posts.