According to a notice sent out by our telecomm group (here in Michigan):

All 800 and 888  service is down due to an Ameritech LEC problem.
This affects all 800 service in the Ameritech region, across all
carriers.
This also affects conference bridges, pagers and remote dial in access.

This unplanned outage was caused by our service provider Ameritech.
This outage affected all businesses within the Ameritech  five state
regions.

We just got notice about an hour ago that service has been restored.

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952