The failure of society to rehabilitate people for whom our science is capable
of rehabilitating, and instead incarcerating them for a time period then
releasing them back to society possibly a greater threat than when they went
into the prison system, or to make the distinction between problems for which
our science is capable of rehabilitating the people involved & those for
which we have not yet invented a reliable cure, that is a political problem
that has been with us & not just in the USA, for quite some time.  It is a
controversial topic, since political ideology often rules more than what
science has to say.

To an extent this topic, while important, might seem secondary to the topic
of recovery from Sept 11 & ensuring that we will never again be so
vulnerable, such that we could have talked about this for decades, and it has
no special urgency to discuss right at the moment.

However, we are now faced with this same challenge on a global scale.
There is a need to rehabilitate the societies that spawn terrorists, so that
we are not faced with future generations seeking revenge for what was done to
earlier generations.

Oklahoma City was on the Anniversary of Waco.
McVeigh thought he was righting some wrong on behalf of the people who died
at Waco.
He was part of a large number of people who felt much as he did, but were
less violent about it.
There is a cancer there that needs to be cured.

Sept 11 was one day away from the day of sentencing for those caught in an
earlier Bin Laden attack on the USA.  They thought they were fighting back.

We have had this problem throughout the 20th century.
WW I started thanks to Serbians trying to take revenge for past actions
against them.

Hitler rose to power by pointing at what had been done to the Germans after
they lost WW I.

The need has been there for some time, but has not been recognized as such in
national politics of any nation with the power to do anything about it.

One of the core issues of this on the international scale is the distinction
between human rights & sovereignty.  Until I read some of the posts by
Muslims favoring the punishment of the wicked who attacked America, while
railing against America's support for the horrible dictatorships around the
world, I had always thought that the  values of the West were not all shared
by all other cultures & needed to be presented or shown in a manner in which
other cultures could pick & choose which of our values they wished to share.